In some ways women are probably more look obsessed - we can spend AGES getting the right dress, the right hair, the right shoes. We worry we look fat in something. We worry about wrinkles and grey hair.
I subscribe to a number of single person blogs. One is particularly scathing of the dating world and offers tips for men (from a women's perspective) and vice versa. After yesterdays contribution - make that gentle lecture - to remind the women that they need to care for themselves, I thought it only fair that the guys got a turn too.
So, you can either get the hard unudulterated truth here: http://guidetowomen.wordpress.com/
or read on for a list of random observations shared by my women friends....
(a cautionary note...some of these things contradict each other...I told you it was a list of random observations - don't shoot the messenger!)
- muscles and firm bodies are great. we all know that. but we also know that as we get older it's not so easy to acheive. just make a bit of an effort.
- being overweight or out of shape isn't really the issue. the issue is if you care about it. if you don't give a damn, that tells us (rightly or wrongly) that you don't respect your own body. so we wonder, would you respect ours?
- we like men that know what a toothbrush is and isn't afraid to use it.
- some guys sweat a lot. those guys need to use appropriate toiletries. a lot.
- if you're struggling with your wardrobe, ask for help. But if you don't want us deciding what you wear, then don't take us shopping with you.
- tshirts just shouldn't be tucked in. ever. well unless you're at a funeral. and it's your own. then it doesn't matter.
- if your car is full of rubbish and we have to negotiate to get in the front seat, you can forget a second date. car full of crap = house full of crap = life full of crap
- if we want to be rescued, we'll let you know.
- short fingernails. and toenails. always.
- women love guys who can do guy stuff. fixing things. making things. helping with stuff. we just do. even if we say we don't
- when we say ''so what are you up to this week'', we're not interrogating you. we're just interested
- please let us pay for things sometimes. you wanted an independent woman right? so let us be one.
- for most of us, there's extra small people involved. we want you to like them. but you don't have to parent them. especially at the start. thanks anyway!
- when you ask us what's wrong and we say 'nothing'' and you know it isn't NOTHING - let it go!!! we'll tell you when we're ready.
- deep down, just like you, we just want to be wanted and love to be loved. it's pretty simple really.