one date at a time

One of the biggest challenges the back-into-dating set has is how to set the pace.

I reckon it's easy to get a bit smug and decide a YES a little too early (or a NO for that matter...although the NO's are in an entirely different post...)

Or course we all go out on a date with anticipation and positive thought.  Of course we hope that THIS time it's going to be awesome/perfect/just what we hoped for.  And when there's a second, or third date, it's easier still to get a bit carried away with the awesomeness of it and start projecting way WAY further into the future (even though we know it's crazy to do so).

I'm an incurable romantic I know, and so I do believe that for some lucky people they will meet ''the one'' and just know straight away.  And a few more will find that connection after a few conversations and great dates. But I'm also realistic enough to know that it takes a long time - a very long time - to really truly get to know someone.  To get through all the layers of the onion, as it were.

 Emotion says, quick! find out what you can! invest now! Logic says, if it's meant to be there's no hurry.  And if it's not, then there's also no hurry. Take time before you put everything into this.
 
And so, no matter how fabulous the connection, no matter how much potential I think something might have, I'm trying to learn to pace myself.  Slowly slowly. Enjoy the experience of getting to know another.   One date at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment