the no more tears formula

Yesterday I went to a wedding.  The truth is I didnt' actually want to go. Not because I didn't wish the happy couple every good thing, but because of the reasons I wrote about back at
here

So it was with more than a little trepidation that I got my fancy dress on and drove two hours in the pouring rain (OK so I wasn't actually the one doing the driving but still) to go and see a couple I barely know get hitched.  This was my also to be my first experience of a ''second time around for both'' wedding amongst my peers - the last having been when I was a child and my parents friends were all re partnering.

The wedding was held in a small marquee at a friends house, in fact the place these two had met just a year before.  The bride wore red, the groom wore a kilt.  All the invited guests were asked to declare their blessing on the marriage.  There were friends old and new, children and grandchildren of the happy couple.  The vows were spontaneous and delightful (him) and incredibly heartfelt  (her).  The readings were agnostic and humorous but clearly chosen with them both in mind.  The service lasted all over 15 minutes and then it was over.

There were no sweeping statements - no denial that both of these people had ''been there before'' - and an acknowledgement of all that had been, whilst still with the feeling of excitement and anticipation that any new marriage should have.

It was lovely.  It was real. It made me believe in happy ever after.

And I didn't cry a single tear.




No comments:

Post a Comment